|2017 Market Lamb Show and Sale|
Show – Fair Wednesday
Sale – Fair Friday
Chairperson: Kyley Clevenger
Sponsor – First Bank of Strasburg
1. Market lambs are to be owned and cared for by the exhibitor as of May 13, 2017. Tagging of the lambs will be May 13, 2017 from 8 am to 10 am at the Frederick County Fair Grounds. All market lambs must have their scrapie tag in their ear at the time of tagging or they will be unable to exhibit that lamb in the fair. One dollar will be charged per animal tagged. Multiple animals may be tagged but exhibitors are limited to showing two (2) market lambs.
2. ALL GENERAL LIVESTOCK RULES WILL APPLY TO LAMB EXHIBITORS. PLEASE READ!
3. Due to regulations set by the National Scrapie Eradication Program, the Frederick County Fair will require that all sheep (market ewes and market wethers) be ear tagged with a tag provided by the USDA – APHIS in order to track sheep under the National Scrapie Eradication Program.
4. There will be no breeder’s ID Tags allowed in the market lamb’s ears. If still in at check in, they will be removed.
5. If the scrapie tag has the breeder’s name or farm on them, they will not removed.
6. Market lambs are to be brought to the fairgrounds between the hours of 7:30 am and 12:00 noon on Fair Monday. A current health certificate must be shown to the barn official before any animal can be unloaded. Lambs must be born after January 1st of the current Fair year.
7. Lambs may be wethers and/or ewes. All animals must be properly castrated. Wethers must be completely healed from castration.
8. Lambs may be purebred, grade or crossbred.
9. Lambs must have lamb teeth. All lambs will be mouthed.
10. All market lambs will be weighed and graded at the fair on Monday afternoon. Exhibitors should be present when their animal is weighed. Lambs must weigh between 90 and 140 pounds to be sold at auction. All lambs must grade Blue-O or Red-O to be sold at auction. There will be no allowances in weight given at weigh-in time.
11. To recognize buyers, $5.00 will be retained from the proceeds of each lamb sold to purchase a newspaper advertisement and publicity.
12. Grand and Reserve Champion Market Lamb must be sold at the market animal auction on Friday.
13. The market lamb chairperson and the Fair Association livestock committee reserve the right to view exhibitor's animal from the tagging date until the opening of the fair.
14. All market lambs must be slick shorn one week prior to the show. The will be no shearing of market lambs after arrival onto the fairgrounds. All sheep must have been foot trimmed no more than 10 days before the fair.
15. All exhibitors are required to participate in showmanship classes.
16. Lifting the front feet of lambs off the ground during showmanship and market classes is not permitted. Lambs will be shown with all four feet on the ground.
17. The will be no “icing” lambs at any time during Fair Week.
18. There must be water available to all market lambs at all times during fair week.
19. There will be no drenching market lambs during fair week.
20. Market lambs will be shown by weight. Classes will be determined the day of the show.
21. Exhibitors are responsible for re-penning their lamb after the sale. The exhibitor will feed and care for the animal until the buyer or other persons authorized by the Fair removes it from the fairgrounds.
22. Failure to abide by these rules will result in the disqualification of that individual’s animal(s) in question.
Market Lamb Premiums and Ribbons
Placings: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th & 8th
Prize Money: $15 $12 $10 $8 $6 $4 Ribbons
Junior Novice, Senior Novice, Junior, Senior
Grand and Reserve Showman of each division will receive a trophy and rosette.
All confirmation classes will receive prize money for each class placing as stated above.
Underweight Class ( < 90 lbs.) - not eligible for Grand or Reserve Champion Overall
Market Lamb Classes (90 - 140 lbs.) - Classes will be broken down into three divisions by the show chairperson(s) and/or show committee.
Light Weight Division
Middle Weight Division
Heavy Weight Division
Overweight Class ( >140 lbs.) - not eligible for Grand or Reserve Champion Overall
Grand and Reserve Champion Overall Market Lamb will receive a banner.