|2017 Market Beef Show and Sale|
Show – Fair Tuesday
Sale – Fair Friday
Chairperson: Jamie Whitacre & Kirk Clevenger
Sponsors of Market Steer Events:
Showmanship Classes – Mid-Atlantic Farm Credit
County Bred Trophy – Raymond Bennett Family
Grand Champion Trophy – Mike & Ruth Boden and Family
Reserve Champion Trophy - Jamie, Luke & Braden Whitacre
Rate of Gain Contest – 4-H Livestock Club
Champion & Reserve Champion Angus Steer – Northern VA Angus Association
Overall Champion Purebred Female Trophy –
Chuck & Linda Alexander/Turning Point Angus
Overall Champion Commercial Female Trophy – Andy McIntire/McIntire Cattle Co.
Grand Champion Steer Award-Virginia Club Calf Producers
1. All Market Beef are to be owned and cared for by the exhibitor as of December 3, 2016. Tagging of the Market Beef will be December 6, 2016 from 8 am to 10 am at the Frederick County Fair Grounds. One dollar will be charged per animal tagged. Multiple animals may be tagged but exhibitors are limited to showing two (2) market steers.
2. ALL GENERAL LIVESTOCK RULES WILL APPLY TO BEEF EXHIBITORS. PLEASE READ!
3. Exhibitors may bring in bedding and set up equipment Sunday only between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. No Saturday set up is available. All steers must be brought onto the fairgrounds from 7:30 am to 12:00 noon on Fair Monday. Animals will be weighed and graded on Fair Monday. No steers are to be washed from 12:00 noon until weigh-in is completed. Exhibitors must be present with their animals when weighed.
4. Cattle must not be born prior to January of the previous year.
5. Age of all heifers and steers will be checked.
6. Market Beef will be shown by breed. Division of breed classes will be done by weight, if necessary by the Market Beef Chairpersons.
7. The Market Beef Chairpersons will decide the classification of breed and breed classes prior to the show.
8. All heifers exhibited by 4-H and FFA members must be owned by and in the care of the exhibitor by the following dates according to age and show classifications. Beef breeding animals will be divided into classes by breed (individual purebred and commercial)
Senior Yearling Heifers January 1
9. Steers that do not grade Select and weight at least 1,000 pounds can show in their class but cannot compete in the championship class. The top animal in the class that meets the weight and grade requirements will represent that class in the championship.
10. Grand Champion and Reserve Champion Steers must be sold.
11. Market Beef must weigh at least 1,000 pounds and grade Select to be sold in the steer sale. There will be a $15.00 fee deducted from each animal sold to be used toward market steer sale publicity.
12. The exhibitor will feed and care for their steer until the buyer or other persons authorized by the Fair removes it from the fairgrounds.
13. The Market Beef Chairpersons and the Fair Association reserve the right to make any necessary changes during the Fair Week.
14. All exhibitors must participate in showmanship. Animals exhibited in the Showmanship Class will be shown unfitted. Market Beef and breeding animals will be shown fitted in their confirmation class. Only the exhibitor and immediate family members (father, mother, brother, sister or other Frederick County 4-H or FFA member) may help in fitting an animal for the beef show. All animals must be fitted in the immediate beef barn area. Members of the beef committee will monitor the fitting of beef animals and any violations of these rules will result in disqualification from the show and sale.
15. Any animal deemed “not broken” or unruly to the point of being a safety risk will be disqualified from the show and sale by the decision of the beef committee.
16. The Market Beef Chairpersons and the Fair Association Livestock Committee reserve the right to view exhibitor’s animals from the tagging date until the opening of the Fair.
17. Failure to abide by these rules will result in the disqualification of that individual and the animal(s) in question.
MARKET BEEF PREMIUMS AND RIBBONS
***7th and 8th place winners will receive a ribbon***
All Class Winners: Rosettes will be awarded to individual class winners.
Overall Champion Purebred Female will receive a plaque.
Overall Champion Commercial Female will receive a plaque.
Beef Breeding animal classes will be divided into crossbred and individual breeds.
Class 1212 – all Other Breeds market Steer class will consist of calves from any market steer class (excluding County Bred Steer Class) that does not have at least 3 entries. For classes with less than 3 entries, chairpersons reserve the right to combine these entries/classes into this All Other Breeds Class.
Class 1213 – County Bred Market Steer is only for steers bred in Frederick County. Final determination for eligibility will be determined by the Show Committee.
Class 1214 – All Market Heifers will show in one class and then compete for overall Grand and Reserve Market Beef.
Bucket Calf Class to occur after Showmanship and before Breeding Animals.